Friday, December 15, 2006

Protime (INR) Test

(2)

The fish fry (not those chess games) took exactly 11 minutes. I cooked the salmon steaks for exactly 6 minutes on the virgin side and 5 minutes on the other. Kootch said it was delicious. We watched 'Millionare' in tivo while she ate and I drank beer. Before dinner Kootch gave me a giant hint regarding Christmas: a Sudoku machine. By the way, she totally missed her soap today as she did her Sudoku thing.

Speaking of fish fries I finally got to play the shortest possible chess game a few days ago: 1.e4 g5 2.d4 f6 3.qh5 mate. I was White, of course. After two or three weeks of playing C-III I went back to online chess (tap), but this time I would often opt to play whomever was already waiting for a game. This meant that I would usually play Black. I think I thereby mostly avoided playing Gerash. I usually win playing Black too, of course, but it takes longer.

There was a minor emergency last week when my INR went up to 5, which is 'way out of range' (my INR should remain between 2 and 3). Interestingly, there was no letter to that effect. Instead, Kaiser chose to communicate via phone (tap). I got the impression they were very concerned. I did some research on the web and found at least one instance of death due to high INR (50) which led to internal bleeding. This sudden (boom) spike in INR was probably due to a drug interaction (tap - Judeo-Faggotry is alive and well upstairs, as usual). I was recently prescribed a drug called, Lovastatin. This drug affects cholesterol production by the liver. I mentioned the possibility of a drug interaction to the prescribing physician (because the liver also has a role in controlling blood clotting rate). She discounted the idea, but I later discovered, via the internet, that Lovastatin may contribute to an excessive INR.

I will mention this to her on my next visit, of course. Meanwhile I have discontinued Lovastatin. Such is the power of the patient! Poor doctors: they are often reduced to the status of mere advisor.