Friday, November 24, 2006

A Woman's Work...

(1)

I am pleased to report that our relationship has recovered to the 'don't ask - don't tell' level. We both ignore the elephant sitting between us and thereby manage an amicable relationship most of the time. Thus we were (thump) restored to our 'normal' state of affairs a day or two or three after the spat which spawned the previous post.

Thanksgiving was something of a minor disaster, however, as Kootch rebelled against her ancient role of 'Thanksgiving Dinner Cooker.' Traditionally, I defrost the frozen turkey by bathing it in water (in the kitchen sink) overnight since I am the one who stays up late and Kootch is the one who goes to bed early. (It follows of course, from this, that Kootch wakes up early while I sleep late.) I also purchase said turkey. Kootch takes command of the situation when she wakes up around 0400. She does all the preparations, then cooks the turkey, potatoes, etc. This takes her at least several hours, on and off. Dinner is usually ready around 1500. I carve the turkey on one side, then we eat. Kootch cleans up most of the mess.

So lessee... I buy..., defrost..., eat... Hmm. Maybe she has a point.