Tuesday, June 06, 2006

RF Update

(1)

As I become more and more familiar with my new RF device I continue to do research on The Web, two examples of which are here and here. But as of now I am far from convinced that RF is really the problem. I expect to do a more comprehensive report in the near future, however.

One of the problems I had was with the sheer range of the device: 3mhz-5ghz, and a sensitivity range of from 'microvolts to who knows?' For example, at maximum sensitivity virtually everything conductive is an RF radiator, even me. Even Kootch. So the first challenge was to get some idea of scale. Where should I set the sensitivity controls on the device to detect the sort of RF energy I expected to find?

I eventually determined on two temporary 'standards:' the telephone, and the walkie-talkie. The telephone is a 'walk around while you talk' device (900 mhz?) designed to transmit over distances of no more than 150 feet or so, while the walkie-talkie is designed to communicate over distances of a mile or more. Energy densities which barely register on the logrithmic scale (the telephone) will register 50% on the log scale and will peg the meter on the middle scale.

Complicating things somewhat is the fact that 'they' increased the nighttime 'RF' attack rate Monday night after the previous post, and virtually flooded the place with 'RF' beginning Monday morning after I wrote that post, 'muddying the waters' considerably, as I was unable to reliably detect those attacks on the device. This raises bandwith questions not to mention 'energy identity' questions: could the problem be, for example, 'ultrasonic?'

We shall see. Back to Non Serviam...