Wednesday, July 13, 2005

(2) Skin Gas

The gas log mentions 'skin gas(tap).' I don't know the 'name' of the gas, of course, so I call it 'skin gas.' Skin gas is the least objectionable gas because it causes no airway irritation that I can detect. It is more of a nuisance gas. They use skin gas against me mostly at night, but they occasionally use it the BR and (more frequently) in the LR. Because SG produces no auditory 'confirmation' they will periodically inject an airway irritant into the 'SG stream' in order (I suppose) to verify that I am actually inhaling the gas and that they are not wasting it.

Skin gas seems to 'amplify' some skin sensors. At low levels there is only an increase in 'itch volume' (for lack of a better analogy): any minor itch 'not worth bothering about' rapidly becomes 'an itch worth scratching.' At higher levels of skin gas there is a strange slightly prickly feeling in the skin, somewhat as if the 'volume' has been 'turned up' so high that 'static' in being 'heard.' I think I mentioned skin gas in my other blog and mistakenly labeled it as a 'CNS antagonist.' Skin gas produces no CNS symptoms that I can detect, but the PNS effects of skin gas are unmistakable.